Find Deals For Your Stay
Join the Cassowary Coast Local Tourism Network!
Posted: 19 Jul 2017
On our recent Wildlife of Australia's Rainforest expedition to far north Queensland this stunningly colourful Boyd's Forest Dragon was found sunning himself in the middle of the road. While picking him up to place him on a tree, out of harms way, participants had an opportunity to closely view this magnificent animal and learn more about him from Expedition Scientist Prof. Steve Williams. It's experiences such as these that Earthwatchers get the opportunity to enjoy while in the field.
Posted: 06 Jun 2017
Bingil Bay is a small community just north of Mission Beach and you do get a sense that the rainforest really does meet the sea in this area. The following is information from Wikipedia about the history of this beautiful location. The name Bingil is believed to be an Aboriginal word meaning a good camping ground given to the area by Frederick Cutten, a pioneer settler in the area. In 1884, the Cutten brothers (Frederick, Leonard, Sydney and James) established the first commercial tea plantation in Australia on their Bicton estate at Bingil Bay, also growing coffee, mangoes, bananas, pineapples and other tropical fruit. At that time, Bingil Bay was only accessible by boat. Most of the Bicton estate was destroyed by a cyclone in 1918 and although the homestead was rebuilt the remainder of the estate was never restored. The descendants of the original tea plants were rediscovered in the rain-forest by Dr Alan Maruff in 1958 and seedlings from these plants formed the basis for the Nerada tea plantations. In 1921, an overland connection was created from El Arish (a distance of 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) away) but it was only usable by a dray and the journey took most of the day. The area was formerly known as Clump Point (the name of a nearby headland) until 1929 when a post office called Bingal Bay was established. On 9 July 1936, the road from El Arish to Bingil Bay was finally completed, reducing the travel time to 30 minutes. It was officially opened by Percy Pease, the Member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly for Herbert. The Bingil Bay Lifesaving Club opened in 1936. Around 1966, then Prime Minister of Australia, Harold Holt and his wife Zara Holt, owned a holiday cottage they called "The Shack" at Bingil Bay. It sat high on the hill with views as far as Dunk Island. The couple were keen spearfishers. The cottage did not have a telephone.
Frankland Islands Cruise and Dive set themselves apart from other reef tour operators in that they are the only company able to visit this spectacular group of five breathtaking continental islands surrounded by fringing coral reef. Normanby Island is the largest of the Frankland Islands, and is the...
The Cassowary Coast Regional Council was formed on March 15th, 2008 through the State Government local government reform process, and comprises of the former shires of Cardwell and Johnstone. The regional council comprises 6 elected divisional councillors and a popularly elected mayor. Council me...